Hello and thank you for visiting!
“In the creative state a person is taken out of themself.” E. M. Forster
About my work:
I have loved observing from the beginning of memory. Before I even knew it as art, I called it “taking pictures with my mind”. With many uprootings in childhood, I could spend hours sorting all those pictures in my mind: California, Washington, Maine, Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Arizona and Ohio.
I become fascinated with the non-verbal in the world: from facial expressions to gestures and movement of figures in space, the sun’s shadows, sunsets and star lit nights. I am delighted by the smallest of flowers growing in cracks in the Burren of county Clare in Ireland or the alps of Switzerland to the giant bell flower in Jill and Charli’s garden.
I have had deep appreciation in this form of expression since my first art class in 2 grade, but did not pursue formal art classes until adulthood.
- 1973-75: Memphis Academy of Art night classes in watercolor with Fred Rawlinson, Steve Yee, and Dolph Smith.
- 1976-78: Philadelphia Academy of Fine Art night classes in watercolor, figure, and still life.
- 1997: Firelands Association for Visual Arts: Beginning watercolor
- 2012-2015: Dine’ College art classes in design, drawing, photography, acrylic, and oils with Karen Willeto and Don Whitesinger, Navajo Reservation, Tsaile, AZ. Award first prize in design for Spinning Dancers. 2013.
- 2015-2017: Workshops, classes, and figure painting at Cliffside Artists Collaborative, Hinkley, Ohio: Director Sara Kass. Workshops by Bob Moyer (3), Cathy Welner (2), Dave Cordas, Yuki Hall (3 day), Fealing Lin ( 3 days), Mel Stabin,( 3 days), Qiang Huang (3 days) Figure classes for two years, oils with Pat Rohrbacher (2).
- 2017 Workshop with Fred Graff, Medina, OH
- 2017 to present, ongoing student with Patricia Sigmier.